Baked French Fries are a guiltless indulgence! They contain considerably less fat than regular fried potatoes, they’re simple to make but are still crispy and just as delicious.
I’ve finally mastered the art of making the crispiest fries, in the oven. It’s all about using the right ingredients, doing the necessary prep work and cooking them at the right temperature.
Here is how to make crispy fries that are healthier, taste amazing, make less of a mess and require very little time.
Oven French Fry Ingredients
▪ Russet Potatoes – you’ll need one medium potato per serving, cut into 1/2-inch slices. You can either leave the skins on or remove them, it won’t make a difference in how they are cooked.
▪ Vegetable Oil – or canola oil can be used. Both can withstand the high temperatures of the oven without smoking.
▪ Corn Starch – helps to brown the potatoes and creates a crispy crust that seals in the moisture.
▪ Cooking Spray
MORE IDEAS YOU’LL LOVE
AIR FRYER GARLIC HASSELBACK POTATOES
A simple, impressive side dish, a baked potato with crispy edges, it’s like eating a baked potato and a potato…. continue reading
How to Prepare Crispy French Fries in the Oven
Preheat oven to 450°. Cut potatoes into ¼”- ½” thick slices. Place potatoes in a microwave safe, covered dish. Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, drain.
Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and place in pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes.
Thoroughly dry potatoes, then toss with oil. Sprinkle the oil covered potatoes with cornstarch, toss again.
Spread potatoes in a single layer on the hot baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes on bottom rack. To brown evenly, turn fries after 20 minutes.
Place fries on paper lined plate to drain. Lightly salt before serving.
Variations to the Recipe
This recipe can also be used to make crispy sweet potato fries, they may require a little more time in the oven though. Another delicious alternative is parsnips, they go great along side a Sunday roast or chicken dinner.
For more flavor, try tossing the baked fries with; season salt, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, smokey paprika, or lemon pepper. They also taste great topped with chili, cheese, gravy, carne asada, taco fixin’s, bacon or just a little ketchup.
To Freeze: Place the baked fries on a baking sheet, making sure that they don’t touch and freeze for 30 minutes, then place in a freezer bag. The fries will keep up to 4 months.
To Reheat: Spread fries in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes in a preheated 425°F oven, turning once after 5-7 minutes.
Budget Friendly Suggestions
Four servings of homemade oven fries costs less than $1.00 to make. Shopping discount stores, like Aldi’s, using coupons and/or shopping sales can cut the costs even more.
Who makes the Best French Fries?
My favorite are the crack fries from HopCat
- 4 medium Russet potatoes
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450°. Cut potatoes into ¼”- ½” thick slices. Place potatoes in a microwave safe, covered dish. Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and place in pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss potatoes with oil. Sprinkle the oil covered potatoes with cornstarch, toss again.
- Spread potatoes in a single layer on the hot baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes on bottom rack. To brown evenly, turn fries after 20 minutes.
- Place fries on paper lined plate to drain. Lightly salt before serving.
✔ Russet Potatoes are the best potatoes for making French fries. They crisp up better than other potatoes because of their thicker, drier skins. Tip #1
✔ Don’t over crowd the pan, the heat needs to be able to circulate around the fries so they can crisp up.
✔ Place potatoes on a hot, greased baking sheet, the heat from the pan helps get them crispy and the hot grease keeps them from sticking.
✔ If the fries don’t flip easily, bake them a little longer.
Making This Recipe?We’d really love to see how it turned out. Snap a pic & tag it on Instagram with @flusterbuster
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 3 Healthy & Simple Sweet Potato Recipes
- 25 Potato Recipes To Enjoy
- Roasted Potato Salad Bites
- Fiesta Nacho Potato Casserole
- Easy Loaded Potato Soup
- Red White & Blue Potato Salad
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.