Easy Loaded Potato Soup. A creamy and hearty soup with all of the flavors of a loaded baked potato. Cooks up quickly and is easy on your budget.
The picture of the soup looks like a twice baked potato, doesn’t it? I decided to use the potato skins as the bowls, less dishes to wash, which is always a bonus.
You could serve the soup with a some crackers but that’s just plain ole’ boring. To mix things up a bit I like to serve it with baked chicken and orange slices.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Pierce potatoes with a fork, microwave on high for 12-15 minutes until cooked through, turning once. Let cool and scoop out the insides of the potato.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon until crisp. Let cool then crumble, reserve the bacon drippings.
- In a large saucepan, heat bacon drippings over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add milk, whisking until thick.
- Stir in cheese, potatoes, salt and pepper. Cook until cheese is melted and the soup is heated through. Whisk in sour cream. Serve soup topped with bacon and chives.