Are you battling with acne and have exhausted all of the over the counter treatments? We’ve got 31 acne treatments for you to try, many of the can be found in your medicine cabinet and pantry.
I’ve been battling acne since my early teens and tried just about every over the counter medication known to man. While most of these acne treatments did the job they did a number on my wallet.
Similarly, my sons suffered with the same thing when they hit their early teens. Having three boys with breakouts all at the same time can get pretty expensive.
Armed with my grandmother’s gift of ingenuity, I went on the hunt for some acne treatments that wouldn’t break the bank. What I discovered was a huge list of remedies that can be found in the pantry.
TREATING ACNE & BLEMISHES
Always consult a doctor before using any home treatments.
- Try dabbing a little Vick’s VapoRub on the effected area. This will clear up any surprise breakouts.
- If you are experiencing inflammation, a little Witch Hazel dabbed on the area will reduce the redness and swelling.
- To control breakouts, wash the effected area with Borax, make sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Take care of small breakouts by dabbing the area with a cotton ball dipped in hot, salt water.
- Scrub your face with a mixture of salt and olive oil to clear up and reduce outbreaks.
- A quick fix, for unwelcome outbreaks, is to treat the effected area with a cotton ball dipped in hydrogen peroxide.
- An effective way to treat breakouts is to apply a paste, made from 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 3 tablespoons of honey, to the area. Apply before bed and wash away with warm water in the morning.
- In the case of blackheads, they can be banished by scrubbing your face with an oatmeal cinnamon paste. To make the paste, mix together equal parts of oatmeal and cinnamon, then add enough water to make the paste thick. Scrub your face with the mixture and rinse with cold water.
- Control acne breakouts by dabbing the effective area with undiluted lemon juice.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon of ground cloves, 1 teaspoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice for an incredible mask that will do wonders at stopping breakouts. Apply the mixture to your entire face and allow it to remain for 20 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- Garlic does wonders for clearing up breakouts. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it over the area.
- Wash your face with a mixture of crushed onion and water to eliminate breakouts.
- A sweet wash made with honey and warm water, is a great way to control breakouts.
- A couple of crushed egg shells and a cup of apple cider vinegar that has been sitting for a few days works well for treating breakouts. Apply the mixture to the area and let it dry before rinsing with cool water.
- Cooked and cooled oatmeal spread on your face and left for 15 minutes will do wonders at controlling breakouts.
- Reduce swelling by applying a mixture of equal parts flour and honey. Apply to effected area before going to bed and cover with a bandage.
- Rubbing a raw potato and leaving it on the area for 5 minutes, before rinsing, will help to control breakouts.
- Remove blackheads by applying cooled mashed potatoes to your face. Allow them to remain on your face for 30 minutes before rinsing.
- Whiteheads can be removed the same way as blackheads, by applying cooled mashed potatoes to your face and allowing them to remain for 30 minutes before rinsing.
- Potatoes can also be used for minimizing blemishes. Scrub your face with a mixture made of mashed potatoes and lemon juice, leave the mixture on your face for 15-20 minutes before rinsing.
- Clean skin with a paste made from turmeric and honey to control acne.
- Before heading off to bed, rub the inside part of a banana peel on your face. In the morning, rinse your face with cool water. Repeat weekly to control breakouts. It’s also great for minimizing fine lines and wrinkles.
- A thin slice of ginger rubbed on your face will help to control outbreaks.
- Ginger can also be used to control blemishes. Apply ginger juice to the blemish and allow it to remain for 5-10 minutes before rinsing.
- Whitehead breakouts can be reduced by massaging aloe vera gel to the area and then letting it rest for 10 minutes.
- Aloe Vera can control the oil that causes blackheads. Everyday apply aloe vera gel to the area and work it in for 10-15 minutes.
- Treating breakouts with aloe aloe vera gel will resolve the problem quickly.
- Toothpaste works great at controlling breakouts. Apply to the area before bed and wipe away in the morning.
- Using a cotton ball, apply a rosewater toner to your face daily to control breakouts. Make a rosewater toner by mixing together 1 1/4 cup of rosewater and 3/4 cup witch hazel. Store in a dark colored bottle.
- Twice a week, applying a mixture of two parts rosewater and one part lemon juice to your face will lighten blackheads.
- After cleaning your face, rub green tea leaves all over, it will help to control breakouts.
(may include affiliate links)
What home remedies have you used to treat acne? We’d love to see what you use. Snap a pic & tag it on Instagram with @FlusterBuster #acnetreatment #beautytips
MORE LIKE THIS
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.
originally posted 01/12/2015 (updated template & images)