Purple sweet potato or purple yam, continue to gain popularity all over the world. They have been turned into so many interesting dishes like ice cream flavor, chips, paste, just to name a few.
Curious but unsure where to begin? This article is for you! Below, I’ll provide some ways on how to prepare purple sweet potato, which has recently become one of my favorite things to cook.
Here are three easy-to-follow recipes that call for these vibrant, delicious, and nutritious roots!
1. Sweet Potato Smoothie
- 2-3 small purple yams (100grams)
- 3 ½ ounces fresh milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar (you may adjust the sweetness later on)
- 2 cups ice
- A small amount of green tea powder (or cocoa powder) to decorate.
Step by Step Directions
- Hard-boil the sweet potatoes, and then peel. Combine all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. (Note: You can leave some milk to make a white foam for the top.)
- Filter the ground mixture through a sieve if you want to make it smoother.
- Whisk the remaining milk until frothy, or just simply put it into a sealed container. Shake.
- Pour the mixture into the glass, add the whipped milk, and dredge with some green tea powder or cocoa powder (whichever you prefer!) on top. Enjoy!
2. Sweet Lotus Seed Gruel With Purple Yam
- 3-4 purple sweet potatoes (about 200 grams)
- 80 grams of tapioca starch
- 50 grams dried lotus seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
Step by Step Directions
For The Purple Sweet Potatoes:
- Hard-boil and peel the sweet potatoes, mash then filter the mashed sweet potatoes through a sieve to make sure that the potatoes are smooth.
- Blend the potatoes, flour, sugar, and honey and then knead evenly to make the mixture homogeneous and smooth (they should not stick to your hands).
- Roll the potatoes into round shapes and drop them into a pot of boiling water.
- Once the potatoes float (this should take about 2 minutes), pick them out and drop into a bowl of ice water to make them soft and tough.
- After 3-4 minutes, take them out and put in a bowl of sugar syrup.
For The Lotus Seeds
- Wash the lotus seeds and soak them in water for 15 minutes.
- Put them into a pot, boil with some water. Once the water’s boiled, pick the seeds out.
- Boil the seeds again with different water for 15-20 minutes until the lotus seeds are soft.
- Take the seeds out, stir-fry the lotus seeds quickly with sugar, then pour the water in, flavor it again, boil one more time, turn off the kitchen, add some vanilla.
- Scoop the lotus seeds into the bowl then add the purple sweet potatoes and some ice. Enjoy!
3. Sweet Purple Potatoes Mashed With Yogurt Honey
Step by Step Directions
- Boil and peel the purple sweet potatoes, then mash.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with honey. Make sure that you use only the raw type—these types of honey does not go bad!
- Roll the potatoes into round shapes. You may use a cookie cutter if you’d like to form better circles.
- Add some yogurt on top and enjoy!
There You Have It!
Were you able to try any of these recipes? The great thing about purple yam or purple sweet potato is that it’s unique, but it’s extremely versatile. These three are just the beginning!
Sweet potatoes can last for weeks, so you can actually buy in bulk and make different recipes with it!
If you have any comments and suggestions, kindly write them in the comments section below. I’d love to hear what you think! If you have other recipes in mind, you may share them as well. We can exchange recipes!
Vivian has a huge passion for cooking. That’s why she created “Cookingispassio.com” to share her great love with other people. She believes that fine food is not only the key to promoting family cohesion, but it also helps make every member become closer.
(may include affiliate links)
The purple is so stunning in your pictures! If I were to be a brave soul and try (pretty soon), definitely would go the shake route, I can be coerced into anything with a little matcha powder! ha!
I like the color of purple sweet potatoes. And it makes the dishes more attractive. I made these dishes for my family and some of my friends. We always eat up all 🙂
Hollie Ramsey says
I don’t think I’ve ever seen purple sweet potatoes before! Seriously!
Let’s give it a try. I think you will find it interesting.
They are delicious and worth a try 🙂
The colour of this is perfect for introducing a vegetable to children. They are fun and surprising.
They’re so pretty, it would be hard for any kid to pass up.
Miz Helen says
I just love this beautiful color of these potatoes. The recipes look wonderful! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Amber Harrop says
I must try and grow these Purple sweet potatoes in my garden