Nail fungus is not fun to deal with, it’s usually caused by moisture being trapped under the nail in just the right conditions. Before purchasing an expensive treatment from the pharmacy, give one of these natural remedies a try.
Are you dealing with Nail fungus? It’s not fun! It’s caused by moisture getting trapped in a warm, dark place, like a wet shoe. It usually begins with a yellow or white spot just under the tip of the nail. As it spreads you may notice the nail becoming thick and brittle and in some cases become darker in color. If left untreated it can go on indefinitely.
There are several treatments for nail fungus, many can be purchased over the counter. However, before making a wasted a trip to the store, you owe it to yourself to try some of these remedies that our grandmother’s used, they are just as effective and much cheaper.
NATURAL NAIL FUNGUS REMEDIES
Always consult a doctor before using any home treatments.
- Soak infected nails in 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup Epsom salt and 2 cups hot water for 30 minutes. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Repeat daily until the fungus is gone.
- Soak infected nails for 10 minutes in a solution made by mixing together 4 cups hot water, ½ cup baking soda, ½ cup Epsom salt, ¼ cup vinegar and ¼ cup hydrogen peroxide. Wash with clean water and dry thoroughly. Repeat daily until fungus is gone.
- Soak infected nails in equal parts water and apple cider vinegar for 30 minutes daily. Dry thoroughly. Repeat daily until fungus is gone.
- Apply a mixture of equal parts vinegar and garlic oil to the infected nail. Wrap with a bandage and leave it on for several hours before removing. Repeat daily until fungus is gone.
- Rub the infected nail with a freshly cut lemon. Allow the juice to remain on the area for 20-30 minutes before rinsing. Dry thoroughly and repeat 1-2 times a day until the fungus is gone.
- Soak infected nails for 20-30 minutes a day in a mixture of equal parts vinegar and Listerine mouthwash. Gently scrub with a nail brush. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Repeat daily until fungus is gone.
- Soak infected nails in equal parts water and rubbing alcohol for 10-15 minutes a day. Dry thoroughly. Repeat until fungus is gone.
- Soak infected nails for 10-15 minutes in 2 cups warm water, 1 cup vinegar and juice from 1 lemon. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Repeat 2 times a day until fungus is gone.
- Rub Vick’s VapoRub on infected nails at bedtime. Repeat daily. The nail will turn a dark color, but will go away as the nail grows out.
- Massage the infected nail with a mixture of equal parts lemon juice and olive oil. Leave the mixture on for 2-3 hours before rinsing. Dry thoroughly and repeat daily until the fungus is gone.
- Massage the infected nail with a paste made from equal parts baking soda and borax mixed with a little water. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Repeat twice a day until the fungus is gone.
- Mix together one teaspoon olive oil with a few drops of tea tree oil. Apply mixture to infected nail and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Gently scrub with a nail brush. Repeat 2-3 times a day until fungus is gone.
(may include affiliate links)
What have you used to treat nail fungus? Snap a picture of what you use and tag it on Instagram with @FlusterBuster #nailfungus #naturalremedies
MORE LIKE THIS
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.
originally posted on 11/17/2014 – updated images and template