Looking for a delicious budget meal option that’s also vegetarian-friendly? Look no further than Instant Pot Enchilada Soup! Packed with rich and bold Mexican flavors, this customizable soup is sure to satisfy your cravings for something hearty and filling. With a smoky tomato broth, tender beans, and sweet corn, every spoonful of this low-carb, high-protein soup is bursting with flavor. Plus, because it’s made in the Instant Pot, it comes together in a fraction of the time, making it the perfect option for a busy, weeknight dinner.
WHIP UP A DELICIOUS BUDGET MEAL WITH OUR EASY INSTANT POT ENCHILADA SOUP
This instant pot enchilada soup recipe is the ultimate comfort food and is perfect for those on a low-carb diet who crave flavor in their meals. Not only is it delicious and easy to make, but it’s also a budget meal that won’t break the bank. With ingredients like canned tomatoes, chicken broth, and spices, you’ll be able to whip up a pot of this soup for a fraction of the cost of dining out.
Enchilada soup is perfect for busy individuals who crave a home-cooked and hearty meal but don’t have the time to prepare something complicated. All you need to do is throw in the ingredients, turn on your Instant Pot, and voila! Within a few minutes, you’ll have a delicious and nutritious bowl of soup waiting for you.
Customizing this budget meal to your liking is also a breeze. You can add toppings like avocado, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and tortilla chips to give it that extra crunch and flavor. If you like a meaty soup, you can add some chicken or ground beef. The possibilities are endless, and you’ll never get bored of this easy soup recipe.
Last but not least, this soup is a great way to feed a crowd without breaking the bank. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just looking to meal prep for the week, this soup is an affordable option that everyone is sure to love. And because it’s so easy to make and customizable, you can easily adjust the recipe to serve as many people as you need.
WHAT IS ENCHILADA SOUP MADE WITH?
You don’t need a fancy recipe to make a delicious budget meal. Sometimes, the most basic ingredients can come together to create something incredible. This enchilada soup recipe is the perfect example. With just a few simple staples like beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, and spices, you can whip up a budget-friendly meal that will leave your taste buds singing. It’s amazing how a little creativity in the kitchen can transform humble ingredients into a dish that’s bursting with flavor.
- Beans – Beans are a key ingredient in any hearty and satisfying soup, and enchilada soup is no exception. The beauty of this recipe is that you can use any variety of beans you prefer. I personally enjoy the deep, earthy flavor of dark red kidney beans and the satisfyingly meaty texture of black beans, you should feel free to use any combination of bean types that you like. Whether you opt for pinto beans, cannellini beans, or even chickpeas, this soup will be a nourishing and filling meal that will warm you up from the inside out. So go ahead and experiment with different bean varieties!
- Corn – Corn offers a tasty addition to this recipe, and the options are endless when it comes to choosing which kind to use. Whether it’s sweet corn, white corn, or even corn mixed with peppers or Mexican flavor, there’s no limit to the delicious flavors you can create. Personally, I love experimenting with different types of corn, and my all-time favorites are definitely the fire-roasted corn or the hominy. The smoky flavor of the fire-roasted corn or the heartiness of the hominy truly takes this soup to the next level.
- Tomatoes – The perfect enchilada recipe calls for just the right combination of ingredients. One of the key elements is using two different styles of tomatoes: diced tomatoes with green chilies and enchilada sauce. This unique combination adds texture and a burst of flavor to every bite. While you can opt for canned enchilada sauce, I prefer to make my own.
- Stock – Adding chicken or vegetable stock to your enchilada soup not only adds delicious flavor, but it also helps to create the perfect consistency. Without it, the soup could easily turn into a hearty stew. The savoriness of the stock compliments the spices and the enchilada sauce perfectly.
- Flavor – There’s no denying that the enchilada sauce is the star of the show when it comes to this delicious soup. The rich, bold flavor of the sauce alone is enough to make your taste buds sing with joy. But if you’re looking to take things to the next level, adding some onions, garlic, green chilies, and a few extra spices will really make this soup a standout dish.
HOW TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS BUDGET MEAL
- Start by gathering all of the equipment and ingredients you’ll need for this recipe. Now dice up the onions and mince the garlic, open the cans, drain the corn, rinse and drain the beans.
- In the pressure cooker, combine the black beans, kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, green chilies, onion, and garlic to create a hearty base for the soup. Now for the real magic, add the enchilada sauce, chicken stock, cumin, and salt to the mix. Close and lock the lid, select Stew mode and let that pressure cooker work its magic.
- The secret to perfectly cooked enchilada soup is the release method. Start by using the natural-release method for 10-15 minutes to let that pressure slowly dissipate. Then, do a quick release to really set those flavors in stone. But wait, let your dish sit for 5 minutes before digging in to let all the mouth-watering goodness meld together.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE AN INSTANT POT?
Slow Cooker – It’s incredibly easy! The key is to toss all the ingredients into the bowl of your slow cooker, give it a good stir, and set the temperature. If you want dinner on the table in 3-4 hours set your slow cooker to high. If dinner isn’t for 6-8 hours set the temperature to low.
Stovetop – In just a few simple steps, you can have a rich, flavorful soup simmering on your stovetop. All you have to do is combine your ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes. *If you want to add a protein to the soup make sure that it is fully cooked.
DELICIOUS VARIATIONS TO THE RECIPE
The variations for this enchilada soup recipe are endless! Not only is it a breeze to customize, but it’s also packed with a ton of flavor and sure to satisfy any appetite. Whether you prefer it vegetarian style, spicier, or more like a stew, this recipe is easily adjusted to your liking. These are some of our favorites:
Mexican Enchilada Soup – Instead of reaching for the cumin swap it for a package of taco seasoning mix. This simple switch will infuse your soup with a bold and robust Mexican flavor that will please your taste buds in a whole new way.
Chicken Enchilada Soup – The simple addition of chicken can take your soup to a whole new level. The tender and juicy chicken adds a heartier element to the soup, making it perfect for those chilly nights. Plus, it will add some extra protein to your meal. You can either cook and shred the chicken yourself or use store-bought rotisserie chicken for convenience.
Mexican Chicken Enchilada Soup – Put a hearty, spicy twist on your Enchilada Soup! We’re talking about adding a flavorful, mouth-watering blend of shredded chicken and zesty taco seasoning.
Beef Enchilada Soup – Try adding some cooked ground beef to the pot. This simple addition will take the soup in a whole new, heartier direction. Not only will it add a delicious depth of flavor, but it will also provide some extra protein to make it a complete and satisfying meal.
Additional Add-Ins – By playing around with the ingredients, you can create a whole new taste experience. Let’s start with the meat – instead of the usual beef, why not try chicken or even shrimp? And while we’re at it, let’s switch up the beans as well -different types of beans would add a unique twist. But it’s not just about the proteins and legumes, it’s also about the spices. Experiment with coriander, chipotle, or taco seasoning for a burst of flavor. Try adding in some diced green or red peppers, for a kick of heat how about some jalapenos? Want to make it heartier? You could throw in some rice for some extra substance. For a touch of tanginess, a squeeze of lime juice will do the trick. The possibilities are endless when it comes to revamping your enchilada soup!
Toppings – Take your enchilada soup recipe to the next level by experimenting with toppings. Get your creativity flowing by adding green onions, sour cream, cheese, avocado, and tortilla chips to your already delicious soup. These toppings will make your soup come to life with an array of textures and flavors that complement the rich and savory base.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SERVE THIS EASY BUDGET MEAL?
When it comes to serving enchilada soup, there are a few tips and tricks that can take your budget meal from bland to flavorful in no time. First, consider adding toppings, like crushed tortilla chips for an extra crunch. Another tip is to serve your soup with a side of warm cornbread or a buttery roll to round out the meal. Additionally, adding a dollop of sour cream or a drizzle of lime juice can add a refreshing kick that complements the spicy flavors of the soup.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE ANY LEFTOVERS
Soup is one of the most versatile and comforting meals out there, and this recipe is no exception! Not only is it delicious, but it’s also convenient. With a five-day lifespan in the refrigerator and the ability to be frozen for up to two months, you can enjoy the leftovers or save them for a rainy day.
Do you like this recipe? Please leave us a star rating in the comments below, and share it on social media. We would really appreciate it!
Easy Instant Pot Enchilada Soup
- 1 (15.25 oz) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, dark read rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn drained
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 med white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- Combine black beans, kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, green chilies, onion, garlic, enchilada sauce, chicken stock, cumin, and salt in a multi-functional pressure cooker. Close and lock the lid, then select Stew mode and cook on high pressure as per the manufacturer's instructions. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- To release pressure, use the natural-release method for 10-15 minutes.
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
This enchilada soup recipe is perfect for beginners or home cooks who want to create a flavorful and nutrient-packed meal in no time. With the convenience of an Instant Pot, you can easily assemble and cook this easily customizable soup. Plus, if you make a big batch, you can freeze the leftovers for later and have a satisfying meal ready to go. This soup is a perfect budget meal option that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters. So, what are you waiting for?
- Rinsing your beans can actually make them easier to digest and reduce the amount of salt.
- You can adjust the taste according to your preferences by adding more or fewer spices.
- If you prefer a creamier soup, you can add some cream cheese or heavy cream while cooking.
- If you like your soup thicker, you can try reducing the broth, stirring in a flour or cornstarch slurry, or adding some pureed beans.
What’s the best side dish to go with a steaming bowl of homemade instant pot enchilada soup?
Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
There’s nothing quite like a warm bowl of tomato soup to satisfy your hunger. With just a handful of ingredients, you can create a velvety, creamy, tangy soup that hits the spot every time.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.