When it comes to budget meals, there’s nothing quite like a warm bowl of homemade tomato soup to satisfy your hunger. With just a handful of ingredients, you can create a velvety, creamy, tangy soup that hits the spot every time. The star of this recipe? Crushed canned tomatoes, give the soup a rich and savory flavor. It’s the perfect dish to pair with homemade croutons and a grilled cheese sandwich for a comforting and satisfying meal that won’t break the bank.
ONE OF OUR FAVORITE WINTER BUDGET MEALS
When it comes to budget meals, tomato soup is definitely one of the top contenders. Not only is it tasty and satisfying, but you can whip up a batch at home quickly and without spending a fortune. Gone are the days of shelling out for overpriced bowls at fancy restaurants when you can easily make your own version. Whether you prefer it classic and creamy or with a spicy kick, tomato soup is the perfect comfort food that won’t break the bank.
Our easy recipe will have you savoring every creamy spoonful of this classic favorite. Perfect for those chilly winter months when all you want is something warm and satisfying.
So, get ready to treat yourself to a bowl of homemade tomato soup that will not only warm your heart but also save you some serious cash. Don’t wait, follow our simple recipe and enjoy the mouthwatering flavors without emptying your wallet.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP
- Butter (unsalted) – Butter is a must when making tomato soup, it adds flavor and richness while making it less acidic. Using unsalted butter allows you to control the saltiness of the dish.
- Onion – Onion is added to tomato soup to enhance its depth and provide a savory flavor. The natural sweetness and aroma of onion complement the acidity of tomatoes, resulting in a more flavorful and well-balanced soup.
- Tomatoes – Canned tomatoes are an excellent substitute for fresh tomatoes. They have a higher flavor concentration because they are picked and canned at the peak of their ripeness which makes a very flavorful tomato soup and sauce. Also, their availability throughout the years guarantees that your soup will taste the same every time.
- Stock – Chicken stock is recommended for tomato soup because it adds an additional layer of flavor, enhancing the overall taste and richness. However, in case chicken stock is not available, water can be used as a substitute.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – Using heavy whipping cream in tomato soup enhances its flavor and adds a silky, creamy texture. It also contributes to the thickness of the soup. While alternatives like milk or other dairy products can be used, they may result in a less creamy consistency.
- Salt – Salt is essential in tomato soup as it enhances the flavors of the ingredients, resulting in a more delicious and well-balanced taste.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP
Start by heating butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add a can of tomatoes, chicken stock, and onion. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer, then let it cook uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the soup is done cooking, blend it until smooth and then stir in some rich heavy whipping cream. Finally, add salt to taste and enjoy your flavorful tomato soup.
ALTERNATIVE COOKING METHODS
Slow Cooker -Add butter, onion, tomatoes, and chicken stock to your slow cooker. Let it cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. For a smooth texture, use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Stir in the heavy cream for a creamy finish. Don’t forget to season with salt to taste.
Instant Pot – Add the butter, onion, tomatoes, and chicken stock to your Instant Pot and lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and set a cook time of 5 minutes. Once the time elapses, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before doing a Quick Pressure Release. Carefully remove the lid and puree the mixture until it’s smooth. To finish, select Sauté and stir in heavy cream until everything is heated through. Lastly, add salt to taste.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE LEFTOVER TOMATO SOUP
Refrigerate – You can store your delicious homemade tomato soup in the fridge for 2-3 days. Just make sure to let it cool down to room temperature before putting it in an airtight container.
Freeze – Once your soup has cooled down, transfer it to a freezer-safe container and pop it in the freezer. Tomato soup can last up to six months in the freezer.
BUDGET MEALS: MEAL PLAN IDEA
Do you like this recipe? Please leave us a star rating in the comments below, and share it on social media. We would really appreciate it!
Easy Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 med onion cut into wedges
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or milk
- salt to taste
- In a 4-quart saucepan, heat butter over medium heat.
- Add the can of tomatoes, chicken stock, and onion. Bring to a simmer, then cook uncovered, stirring occcasionally, for 25 minutes.
- Blend the soup, stir in the heavy whipping cream, and season with salt.
There you have it – a simple yet delicious tomato soup recipe that is bound to become a family favorite. Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy lunch idea or a comforting dinner option, this tomato soup has got you covered. Don’t be afraid to get creative with the toppings the possibilities are endless! So next time you need a warm and satisfying meal, don’t hesitate to whip up this creamy and tangy soup. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you. And don’t forget to pair it with some homemade croutons and a grilled cheese sandwich for the ultimate comfort food experience.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender you can blend it in batches using a regular blender.
- Make some homemade croutons as a soup topping. I like mine slightly charred, it adds a unique flavor to the tomato soup.
Have you ever added any unconventional toppings to your tomato soup?
Easy Cheesy Budget Friendly Loaded Potato Soup
Loaded Potato Soup is easy, creamy, and hearty with all of the flavors that you would find in a loaded baked potato. What makes it even better is that it’s quick, and it’s easy on the budget.
Curried Pumpkin Soup
Creamy pumpkin soup is the perfect meal for those chilly autumn evenings. Made from scratch with fresh, wholesome ingredients like pumpkin, cream, and herbs, this soup is a delicious and hearty option for any dinner table.
Chicken Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
A simple and hearty soup, that is filling and full of savory, earthy flavors. It’s a perfect meal to serve on a cold day because it can be made in a little more than 30 minutes and will warm you from the inside out.
Budget Meals: How to Make Delicious Marinara Sauce at Home
With just a few simple ingredients like canned tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and herbs, you can whip up a batch of delicious marinara that will rival the one from your favorite Italian restaurant.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.