Who doesn’t love a good bowl of spaghetti? But the key to making a delicious pasta dish is, of course, a good marinara sauce. And, did you know that making your own marinara sauce is actually super easy? Not to mention, it’s also a budget-friendly ingredient in many of our budget meals.
HOMEMADE MARINARA MAKES BUDGET MEALS TASTE EXTRAORDINARY
If you’re looking to cook up some budget meals, making marinara sauce is a great place to start. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also much cheaper than buying pasta sauce from the store. Best of all, you probably already have all the ingredients you need in your pantry. By spending just 15 minutes whipping up this savory sauce, you can transform any ordinary pasta dish into something truly extraordinary.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE MARINARA SAUCE
The list of ingredients that you need is incredibly short, and chances are, you probably have all of them sitting in your pantry. No need to worry about writing down a long list of obscure ingredients you’ve never heard of. With just a few simple items, you can create this delicious, flavorful sauce.
- Tomatoes – Using crushed canned tomatoes can be a lifesaver when making a homemade marinara sauce. Not only does it save you a ton of time, but it has a really nice consistency. Having to chop and crush a bunch of fresh tomatoes would take forever! With canned tomatoes, you don’t have to worry about any of that. Plus, they’re usually picked at the peak of their ripeness and canned within hours, which means you’re getting the best possible flavor.
- Garlic – Garlic is a must-have ingredient in any kitchen. It adds a rich, savory flavor and aroma to almost any dish, but it tastes best when paired with marinara sauce. When cooked into the tomato sauce, garlic releases a nutty, buttery flavor that complements the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Italian Seasoning – Using a bunch of different herbs and spices can really add up when making a marinara sauce. That’s why we have found a budget-friendly solution by opting to use Italian seasoning. This magical mix has all the herbs and spices that are typically found in Italian cuisine, making it the perfect choice to add that complex and zesty flavor to our sauce.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is a staple in any Italian kitchen, and for good reason! Not only is it a healthier alternative to other oils, but it also adds a rich, fruity flavor to any dish. When added to marinara sauce, olive oil elevates the flavors of the tomatoes and the other ingredients while giving it a smooth, velvety texture.
- Salt and Pepper
HOW TO PREPARE MARINARA SAUCE
The instructions for this recipe couldn’t be any easier! Start by combining all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Then everything needs to simmer together for the next fifteen minutes. Once the timer goes off, you’ll have a delicious and flavorful marinara sauce!
BUDGET MEALS USING MARINARA SAUCE
Marinara sauce is extremely versatile! For instance, you can use it to top off a delicious bowl of freshly cooked pasta. You can also use it in place of traditional pizza sauce, trust me, it’s absolutely delicious! But that’s not all, you can use it as a dip for your mozzarella sticks and breadsticks! Or, if you’re in the mood for a hearty bowl of soup use it as a soup base, you won’t regret it!
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE LEFTOVERS
Storing marinara sauce is an excellent way to keep it lasting longer. Be sure to keep the sauce in an airtight container for the best results. Refrigerated marinara sauce can last for up to a week. For an even longer shelf life, store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Do you like this recipe? Please leave us a star rating in the comments below, and share it on social media. We would really appreciate it!
Easy Marinara Sauce
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
So if you’re looking to get creative in the kitchen without breaking the bank, making your own marinara sauce is an easy and delicious way to save some money. With this recipe, you can upgrade a simple bowl of spaghetti into something special – all while using simple pantry staples. So why not give it a try? You won’t regret it! And on top of that, you’ll be saving yourself money and time in the process. Bon appetite!
BUDGET MEALS: SAVINGS TIPS
Save money and track your purchases with a price book! Groceries and drugstore items have predictable price cycles, with the lowest prices recurring every six to eight weeks. This is the perfect time to stock up and maximize your savings. Buy enough to last until the next price drop and continue saving. By knowing the sale cycle of your regular purchases, you can save hundreds of dollars every year.
What is your all-time favorite recipe that includes marinara sauce?
Italian Summer Squash Casserole
A simple, healthy Italian dish that can be served as either a main dish or a side dish. It has all of the flavors that you expect from an Italian dish, minus all of the calories.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.
This recipe has been updated!!
It’s incredible to think how much has changed since this blog post was first published back in 2014 as part of our popular Feed 4 for $5 series. As the years have gone by, we’ve seen the prices of food steadily rising, making it more difficult for families to enjoy nutritious and affordable meals. But worry not; we’re here to help!
In our ongoing commitment to support your family’s meal planning and budgeting needs, we are taking the initiative to update each of the posts in this incredible series to accurately reflect the changes in food prices. Additionally, we’ve also updated the images to enhance your visual experience and better showcase these scrumptious meals.
Get ready to embark on a culinary journey with our refreshed Feed 4 for $5, now called Budget Meals, series that will not only keep up with the times but also delivers quality meals without breaking the bank.
Originally posted on: 12/13/2013