Simple Homemade Marshmallows – This simple, no-fail family recipe creates the most heavenly pillows of sweet, fluffy goodness, bursting with vanilla flavor, you’ll never want to purchase another marshmallow.
Have you ever had homemade marshmallows? They are absolutely amazing! The texture is very similar to the ones that you can buy, but it’s the flavor that makes them so amazing.
If you’re worried about how difficult they are to make, you don’t have to worry, this is a very simple recipe. You’ll actually be surprised at how simple they are and once you taste them you’ll wonder why you never made them before.
As for the flavor, that is what makes making them yourself so appealing. You aren’t tied down to the plain old vanilla flavor, you can flavor them with whatever you want which will make them uniquely your own. You can even add color for added pizzazz.
What flavor would you try?
One of my favorite ways to customize the marshmallows is by sprinkling them with crushed mint candies before drying them overnight. They taste wonderful added to a cup of hot cocoa.
Simple Marshmallow Instructions
Step 1: Mix together 1/2 cup of the water and 3 envelopes of powdered gelatin in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let the gelatin mixture sit for at least 10 minutes.
Step 2: In a small sauce pan, mix together the sugar, corn syrup and remaining water. Cook over low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once it’s dissolved, turn the heat up to high and continue cooking until the syrup has reached 240°F on a cady thermometer. Cover and remove from heat, allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes before adding it to the grelatin mixture.
Step 3: Attach the whisk attachement to the stand mixer and turn it on low. Now slowly pour the syrup mixture into the gelatin mixture. Turn the mixer on high and whip until it becomes thick and doubles in size, about 15 minutes. Slowly add the vanilla and food coloring and mix an additional 5 minutes.
Step 4: Generously grease a 9×13 inch glass baking dish with coconut oil (or shortening). Working quickly, pour the marshmallow mixture into the baking dish. Allow it to stand uncoverd, at room temperature overnight so that it can dry out.
Step 5: Generously dust a cutting board with confectioners sugar. Turn the marshmallows out onto the cutting board and cut them into squares, or use a heart shaped cookie cutter for more decorative marshmallows. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve.
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 envelopes (0.25 ounce) unflavored gelatin
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- red food coloring
- coconut oil or shortening
- confectioners sugar, for dusting
- Combine ½ cup of water and gelatin in the bowl of an electric stand mixer and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine sugar, corn syrup and ½ cup water and cook until sugar is dissolved. Turn the heat up and cook until the syrup has reached 240°F on a candy thermometer. Cover and remove from heat, allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes before adding it to the gelatin mixture.
- On low speed, using the whisk attachment, slow mix the syrup mixture into the gelatin mixture. Turn the mixer to high an whip until it becomes thick and double its size, about 10 minutes. Add vanilla and food coloring and mix an additional 5 minutes on high.
- Generously grease a 9x13 glass baking dish with coconut oil (or shortening). Quickly pour the marshmallow mixture into the baking dish.
- Allow to sit uncovered, overnight at room temperature until it dries out.
- Turn the marshmallows out onto a board dusted with confectioners sugar. Cut them into squares, or use a heart shaped cookie cutter and dust them with more confectioners sugar.
✔ Don’t add the hot syrup, to the gelatin, until the bubbles in the syrup have decreased.
✔ When adding the syrup to the mixer, slowly pour it down the wall of the bowl.
✔ DO NOT refrigerate, the moisture from the fridge will ruin the marshmallows.
✔ Store marshmallows in an air-tight container.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.