Meatball Subs is the newest addition to my Feed 4 for 5 menu. Using my homemade Marinara Sauce and a few other ingredients I was able to create this cheap and easy recipe, that feeds 4, along with some Kale Chips and Apples for just $5.05. It was a huge hit and will soon be on the menu again.
- Combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs and ¼ cup marinara sauce in a bowl and form into 1-inch balls.
- Brown the meatballs in a lightly greased skillet. Once they’re browned, place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 375°.
- Heat the remaining marinara sauce in a sauce pan.
- Assemble the subs: place a slice of cheese on the bottom to the roll, add 4 meatballs and cover in marinara sauce.
- Kale – (1 bunch for $0.50) purchased on sale from a supermarket.
- Olive Oil – (12 ounces for $2.39) purchased from a discount grocery store.
- Ground Beef – (1 pound for $1.88) purchased on sale from a supermarket. I track the sales and when ground beef goes on sale for this price I stock up and fill my freezer.
- Bread Crumbs – (free) instead of throwing out the heals of bread I store them in a Zip-loc bag that I keep in my freezer. Whenever I need bread crumbs I just pull out what I need and run them through the food processor.
- Egg – (30 count for $2.59) purchased from a discount grocery store.
- Marinara Sauce – (3 1/2 cups for $1.11) made using my marinara recipe.
- Sub Rolls – (6 rolls for $1.00) purchased on sale from a supermarket.
- Mozzarella Cheese – (8 ounces for $1.66) purchased on sale from a supermarket.
- Apples – (1 pound for $0.99) purchased on sale from a supermarket. There are approximately 3 medium apples in a pound.