This post may include affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
Meatball Subs is the newest addition to my Feed 4 for 5 menu. Using my homemade Marinara Sauce and a few other ingredients I was able to create this cheap and easy recipe, that feeds 4, along with some Kale Chips and Apples for just $5.05. It was a huge hit and will soon be on the menu again.
Cheap and Easy Recipes: Meatball Subs w/Kale Chips & Apples ($5.05)
Author: Robin | Fluster Buster
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 pound ground beef
- Bread Crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 Sub Rolls
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs and ¼ cup marinara sauce in a bowl and form into 1-inch balls.
- Brown the meatballs in a lightly greased skillet. Once they’re browned, place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 375°.
- Heat the remaining marinara sauce in a sauce pan.
- Assemble the subs: place a slice of cheese on the bottom to the roll, add 4 meatballs and cover in marinara sauce.
- Kale – (1 bunch for $0.50) purchased on sale from a supermarket.
- Olive Oil – (12 ounces for $2.39) purchased from a discount grocery store.
- Ground Beef – (1 pound for $1.88) purchased on sale from a supermarket. I track the sales and when ground beef goes on sale for this price I stock up and fill my freezer.
- Bread Crumbs – (free) instead of throwing out the heals of bread I store them in a Zip-loc bag that I keep in my freezer. Whenever I need bread crumbs I just pull out what I need and run them through the food processor.
- Egg – (30 count for $2.59) purchased from a discount grocery store.
- Marinara Sauce – (3 1/2 cups for $1.11) made using my marinara recipe.
- Sub Rolls – (6 rolls for $1.00) purchased on sale from a supermarket.
- Mozzarella Cheese – (8 ounces for $1.66) purchased on sale from a supermarket.
- Apples – (1 pound for $0.99) purchased on sale from a supermarket. There are approximately 3 medium apples in a pound.
When choosing produce that is sold in 1-, 5- or even 10-pound bags be sure to weigh them. The weight is not always accurate so you want to make sure that you are getting at least what you are paying for.
What cheap and easy recipes does your family love?
Bon Appetit on the Cheap!
Laura Lane says
Ugh, I wish I could find those prices. It looks yummy.
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
Katherines Corner says
delish! Thank you so much for helping to make the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop so much fun Hugs!
Kathy A Delightsome Life says
this sounds delicious and love the value! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,