Coffee Cake is a delicious way to enjoy your coffee! A simple recipe, that can be prepped in less than 10 minutes, using a homemade baking mix and a few pantry staples. It’s perfect to serve for breakfast, brunch or as a dessert.
UPDATE – The images and format of this post were updated 11/4/19
This week we got hit by the Sandy Franken-Storm, not as bad as those on the coast but we did feel its effects. We got a pretty heavy snow fall and lost our power. The kids were happy about it because they didn’t have to go to school for a couple of days. After about an hour of being home they realized that it wasn’t that much fun because we didn’t have any electricity or heat.
To combat the lack of heat and the kiddos boredom we headed to the kitchen to do some baking. I figured it would keep them busy and the oven would help put some heat in the house. Each of the kids chose a recipe that they wanted to make on their own. My 10 year old wanted to make Coffee Cake, he thought it would taste good with a cup of Hot Chocolate. I let him do it all on his own, with very little oversight from mom.
Not only did he make the Coffee Cake but he also took the pictures for this post (his idea).
This is a really easy recipe that can be made using homemade Homemade Baking Mix and it tastes good, especially with a cup of Hot Chocolate (or coffee). I love the convenience and versatility of having a big batch of Master Mix on hand (so do the kids).
This is a list of everything that you’ll need to make this coffee cake. If you keep a well stocked pantry, you shouldn’t have to make a trip to the store.
▪ Cooking Spray
▪ Baking Mix – I always have baking mix on hand because it can be used for so many things. I like to make and use my own homemade baking mix because I know exactly what’s in it, it tastes better and it’s a whole lot cheaper.
▪ Sugar – You don’t need much, just enough to sweeten the batter.
▪ Large Eggs
▪ Brown Sugar – If you’re out of brown sugar, you can easily make your own using just a couple of items from your pantry.
▪ Butter – Because the baking mix already contains salt, I prefer to use unsalted butter to avoid the cake from being overly salty.
MORE IDEAS YOU’LL LOVE
SWEET & SPICY MEXICAN OVEN BACON
Thick smokey bacon flavored with a spicy and slightly sweet coating then cooked to crispy perfection in the oven. Easy anddelicious, the perfect…. continue reading
HOW TO MAKE COFFEE CAKE
Step 1 – Prep
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch round pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Step 2 – Streusel
In a small bowl, stir togther the brown sugar, 1/2 cup baking mix, cinnamon and butter, until crumbly, set aside.
Step 3 – Cake
In a medium bowl, stir together the 3 cups baking mix, sugar, eggs and water, until well mixed. Pour batter into greased baking pan, sprinkle with streusel.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
HOW TO SERVE COFFEE CAKE
If you like a sweeter coffee cake you can drizzle it with a glaze made with confectioners sugar, milk and vanilla. My family likes it glazed so we usually glaze it, but I prefer it less sweet, to me it tastes better with a cup of coffee.
When I serve coffee cake for the family I like to serve it with a bowl of fresh fruit and a couple of strips of bacon, it just seems more healthy that way.
HOW TO STORE COFFEE CAKE
I like to store the coffee cake in a cake carrier, but any air tight container will work. The cake will keep for 2-3 days at room temperature, but if you store it in the refrigerator it will keep for up to a week.
If you’re looking for me I’ll be on the porch with my blanket, a cup of coffee and a slice of coffee cake.
Baking Mix Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup baking mix
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablesspoons butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups baking mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch round pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir togther the brown sugar, 1/2 cup baking mix, cinnamon and butter, until crumbly, set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together the 3 cups baking mix, sugar, eggs and water, until well mixed.
- Pour batter into greased baking pan, sprinkle with streusel. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
✔ If you forgot to set your butter out, you can quickly soften it by cutting it into cubes, the smaller the cubes the quicker it will soften.
✔ For any recipe that does not indicate what size egg to use, use a large egg. Large eggs measure about 3 1/4 tablespoons each, which is the perfect amount of liquid for most recipes.
✔ If you wrap the coffee cake in plastic wrap before storing in an air tight container it help to keep it from drying out.
✔ To reheat in the oven, wrap the cake in aluminum foil and cook at 300°F until it is warmed through. To reheat in the microwave, wrap cake slice in a damp paper towel for 1 minute or until heated through.
Making This Recipe?We’d really love to see how it turned out. Snap a pic & tag it on Instagram with @flusterbuster
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Christmas Pancakes with Eggnog Syrup
- Cold Brewed Iced Mocha Coffee
- Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Churro Bites
- Cinnamon Grilled Peaches and Cream
- Peach Barbecue Sauce
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.