Simple Spicy Mexican Style Bacon Recipe – Thick smokey bacon flavored with a spicy and slightly sweet coating then cooked to crispy perfection in the oven. Easy and delicious, the perfect side dish for a Mexican style breakfast or a BLT sandwich. It can be made, without much fuss for both large and small gatherings.
There is a bacon revolution happening, everywhere you look bacon is being used for more than just a delicious side for breakfast. It’s being mixed together with popcorn, stirred into ice cream, dipped into chocolate, wrapped around fruit, you name it someone has tried adding bacon to it, sometimes with delicious results and sometimes not so much. I understand using bacon as a flavoring, bacon is amazing, but there are just somethings that should be off limits.
I’m a bit on the conservative side when it comes to this bacon revolution. I prefer bacon served with savory dishes, like extreme cabbage as opposed to sweet dishes. However, I do like to kick the flavor of bacon up a bit by adding spices and sometimes some sweetness. This is one of my favorite ways to spice up bacon and it goes really well with a Mexican themed breakfast, you’re gonna’ love it!
What is your favorite way to eat bacon?
Sweet and Spicy Bacon
Bacon: When choosing the bacon look for thick sliced, smoked bacon. Thick sliced bacon is best for this recipe because the bacon doesn’t get overpowered by the spices, where as the thin sliced does. You also want smoked bacon because it adds another layer of flavor that you just can’t get from the spices.
Spices: The blend of chili powder and cumin adds a spicy, Mexican flavor to the bacon. It’s the spices that make this flavorful bacon a perfect side dish for a Mexican breakfast casserole or in a breakfast burrito.
Step 1: Place oven rack in the bottom third of the oven.
Step 2: Place a cooling rack inside of a parchment lined baking sheet or use a baking set, like the one under featured products.
Step 3: In a shallow dish, combine the brown sugar, chili powder and cumin.
Step 4: Coat both sides of the bacon with the brown sugar mixture, then place on the cooling rack.
Step 5: Once all of the bacon is coated in the brown sugar mixture, place bacon in a single layer on the cooling rack and place in a cool oven. Set the oven to 400°F and cook 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Step 6: Remove from oven, place on paper towels and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- 8 slices bacon, thick cut
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Place oven rack in the bottom third of the oven.
- Place a cooling rack inside of a parchment lined baking sheet or use a baking set, like the one under featured products.
- In a shallow dish, combine the brown sugar, chili powder and cumin.
- Coat both sides of the bacon with the brown sugar mixture, then place on the cooling rack.
- Once all of the bacon is coated in the brown sugar mixture, place bacon in a single layer on the cooling rack and place in a cool oven. Set the oven to 400°F and cook 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven, place on paper towels and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- If you don’t have a cooling rack, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the bacon directly on the foil.
- If you are not using a cooling rack, be sure to turn the bacon over once while cooking.
- Thick bacon is best for this recipe. If you use thin bacon you will not need the cooling rack and cooking times will be less.
- Watch closely during the last few minutes of cooking to keep the bacon from burning.
- Place cooked bacon on paper towels to absorb the excess grease.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.
Anything with bacon has got to be good! Thank you for bringing this to FF. I can see this as part of a breakfast burrito.
You’re right bacon anything is amazing!
Miz Helen says
I can’t wait to try this recipe, we are going to love it! Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for sharing this awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday!
It’s a great dish if you’ve got guests visiting for the holidays.
Miz Helen says
We sure have enjoyed featuring your post this past week at Full Plate Thursday! Thanks so much for sharing with us and come back real soon!