Western Bacon Hot Dogs are a delicious twist on a classic 4th of July favorite. This simple recipe will quickly become a holiday tradition!
Your favorite beef hot dog, wrapped in a thick slice of bacon, then grilled to crispy perfection. It’s then placed on a bun with a slice of American cheese, some onion rings and a little hickory smoked barbecue sauce. Serve with your favorite summer salad and baked beans.
One of my favorite hamburgers is a Western Bacon Cheeseburger from Carl’s Junior. It’s two all-beef patties, bacon, American cheese, crispy onion rings and barbecue sauce. Since it’s a long drive to the nearest Carl’s I now have to make them at home if I want my fix.
A while I was making the burgers at home and got the idea to make them with hot dogs instead of burgers. We gave it a try and oh my, they are amazing! I’ve never been a big fan of hot dogs, but now I’m a huge fan.
Western Bacon Hot Dog – Key Ingredients
▪ Hot Dogs – I like to use a good quality beef hot dog for this, like Nathan’s or Hebrew National. I prefer the taste of the beef dogs when they are wrapped in the bacon.
▪ Bacon – Use thick sliced bacon, it will grill up nicely and give the dog a nice bacon-y crust. You can also use a thinner bacon, but if you do you’ll want to use two slices to get that thick bacon-y crust.
▪ Barbecue Sauce – You can use any type of barbecue sauce you’d like. I prefer to use a hickory smoked sauced, I like the smokey flavor that it adds to the dog.
- More Ideas You’ll Love
- SUMMER CITRUS SALAD
A lightly sweetened mix of various citrus fruits
with a hint of mint. A refreshing…. Continue Reading
How to Cook Western Bacon Hot Dogs on the Grill
Step 1: Cook onion rings according to package directions.
Step 2: Wrap bacon tightly around hot dogs and place on grill, seam side down.
Step 3: Cook for 10-15 minutes rotating occasionally until the bacon is golden and crispy.
Step 4: Place hot dog on bun along with a slice of cheese, an onion ring and some barbecue sauce.
Variations to the Recipe
Western Bacon Hot Dogs can also be made in a 400°F oven. Just place the bacon wrapped dogs on a baking rack and cook for 15 minutes or until the bacon is golden and crispy.
They can also be made in a skillet, just cook over medium heat rotating the dogs occasionally until the bacon is golden and crispy.
What to Serve with Western Bacon Hot Dogs
A cold summer salad, like red, white & blue potato salad, or some baked beans is always a great choice for any outdoor barbecue. A bowl of some homemade refrigerator pickles goes nicely with this too.
Store the grilled hot dogs in an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To reheat, microwave for 30 seconds at full power.
What’s your favorite hot dog topping?
- 1 package onion rings
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 package hot dog buns
- 8 slices American cheese
- barbecue sauce
- Cook onion rings according to package directions.
- Wrap bacon tightly around hot dogs and place on grill, seam side down.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes rotating occasionally until the bacon is golden and crispy.
- Place hot dog on bun along with a slice of cheese, an onion ring and some barbecue sauce.
✔ When grilling, place the hot dog on the grill with the seam side down. Cook until the bacon becomes crispy, then roll and cook the next section, continue rolling until the bacon is completely cooked all the way around.
✔ A quick tip for steaming the buns: Remove twist tie from the package, fold the open end under the buns and microwave for 30 seconds.
✔ When grilling the hot bacon wrapped hot dogs, start by cooking with the seam side on the hot grill. Do not turn until the bacon is crispy. This will help to keep the bacon from coming off of the hot dog.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Homemade Hamburger and Hot Dog Buns are easy to make and your taste buds will thank you for it.
- Grilled Enchilada Chicken Legs require only a couple of ingredients and a hot grill.
- 25 Delicious Recipes for the Grill
- Fried Chicken Salad and Waffle Sandwich is a satisfying meal to serve on a hot day.
- Corn Salad the perfect side dish to serve at your next barbecue, cool, refreshing and packed with lots of flavor.
- Ginger Lemonade – Tart lemons and spicy ginger, lightly sweetened and served over crushed ice.
About the Author
A mother to three amazing boy, wife to an incredible husband and a former finance manager who traded in her spreadsheets for cookie sheets. I blog about things that make life a little more fun, a bit more manageable, slightly prettier, a great deal tastier and considerably cheaper.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.