If you’re looking for the ultimate hot dog experience this 4th of July, look no further than the Grilled Western Bacon Hot Dog. It’s a delicious blend of your favorite beef hot dog, wrapped in a thick slice of smokey bacon, then grilled to perfection. It’s then placed on a grilled bun along with a slice of American cheese, a crunchy onion ring, and some hickory smoked barbecue sauce. The combination will make your taste buds go wild.
Are you ready for some mouthwatering deliciousness? I’m about to introduce you to my all-time favorite burger: the Western Bacon Cheeseburger from Carl’s Junior! Picture this: two juicy beef patties, crispy bacon, gooey American cheese, crispy onion rings, and a tangy barbecue sauce. It’s a flavor explosion that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
Now here’s the twist. You see, the nearest Carl’s Junior is quite a drive away, so I had to get creative. One day, as I was whipping up some homemade burgers, a lightbulb went off in my head. Why not try making them with hot dogs instead? A bit unconventional, I know, but trust me when I say it turned out to be an absolute game-changer.
I have never been the biggest hot dog fan, but this hot dog version of the burgers blew me away. The combination of the beef hot dog, the crispy bacon, the melty cheese, and the zingy barbecue sauce creates a harmonious symphony of flavors that will leave you begging for more.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE WESTERN BACON HOT DOG
To create mouth-watering Western Bacon Hot Dogs, you’ll need a handful of enticing ingredients: juicy beef hot dogs, smokey thick bacon, creamy American cheese, crispy onion rings, flavorful barbecue sauce, and, of course, soft and fresh buns. These delightful hot dogs are an irresistible addition to your 4th of July festivities. Prepare yourself for an unparalleled explosion of flavors!
- Beef Hot Dogs – Beef hot dogs are the ideal choice for the Western Bacon Hot Dog due to their rich flavor profile. Compared to pork or chicken hot dogs, beef hot dogs offer a more robust taste that pairs perfectly with the smoky bacon and tangy barbecue sauce. Additionally, beef hot dogs have a firmer texture that holds up well when wrapped in bacon, ensuring a satisfying bite every time.
- Bacon – Thick, smokey-flavored bacon is ideal for the Western Bacon Hot Dogs due to its ability to grill up nicely, giving the hot dog a delicious bacon-y crust. Additionally, the thickness of the bacon provides the perfect balance between chewiness and crispiness, while the smokiness complements the flavors of the hot dog and barbecue sauce perfectly.
- Barbecue Sauce – Hickory smoked barbecue sauce is best for the Western Bacon Hot Dogs as it adds a rich and intense smoky flavor to the dish. Hickory wood is commonly used to smoke meats because it imparts a distinct flavor that perfectly complements the saltiness of the bacon and the sweetness of the barbecue sauce.
- Onion Rings – The onion rings on the Western Bacon Hot Dog elevates the flavor profile by adding a combination of sweet and savory taste notes with a satisfying crunch. The contrast in textures between the juicy hot dog, crispy bacon, and crispy onion rings creates a mouthwatering experience that will make your taste buds happy.
- American Cheese – An iconic cheese that adds a creamy texture and mild, salty flavor to the dish
- Hot Dog Buns – When selecting a hot dog bun for the Western Bacon Hot Dog, it is important to choose a hardy bun that will not fall apart once grilled and filled with toppings. A brioche or pretzel bun with a denser texture and slightly sweet flavor is an excellent choice, as it can withstand the weight of the toppings while providing a delicious contrast to the salty, savory flavors of the hot dog and bacon.
HOW TO MAKE A GRILLED WESTERN BACON HOT DOG STEP BY STEP
- Prepare delicious onion rings by following the instructions on the package.
- Wrap a strip of bacon tightly around each hot dog, starting at one end and working your way to the other end. Place the bacon-wrapped hot dogs on the grill with the seam side facing down. As the bacon crisps up, it will secure itself and you can then turn the hot dogs. Continue cooking until the bacon is golden and crispy on all sides.
- For perfectly toasted buns, place them face down on the grill, away from direct heat. Toast it for just 1 minute. Remember to promptly remove the bun once the minute is up to avoid drying out the bread.
- Assemble and enjoy!!
HOW TO SERVE A WESTERN BACON HOT DOG
It’s super easy to assemble. Just grab a sizzling bacon-wrapped hot dog straight off the grill and pop it onto a warm, toasty bun. Top it off with a tantalizing slice of cheese, a crunchy onion ring, and a generous drizzle of barbecue sauce. As the hot dog and bun work their magic, the cheese will melt into pure bliss. Get ready for a flavor explosion!
HOW TO STORE
Keep your grilled hot dogs fresh by storing them in an air-tight container and popping them in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to enjoy them again, just give them a quick zap in the microwave for 30 seconds on full power. Easy and convenient!
ALTERNATIVE COOKING METHODS
Skillet – Make delicious bacon-wrapped hot dogs in a skillet! Cook them over medium heat, giving them a turn now and then, until the bacon becomes golden and crispy. It’s simple and just as tasty!
Oven – It’s as simple as popping them in a 400°F oven. Just place the wrapped dogs on a baking rack and let the magic happen for 15 minutes. You’ll know that they are done when the bacon turns golden and crispy.
MEAL PLAN IDEA
Get ready to celebrate 4th of July in style with our awesome menu!
No matter what you pair these bacon-wrapped dogs with, they are guaranteed to steal the show.
Do you like this recipe? Please leave us a star rating in the comments below, and share it on social media. We would really appreciate it!
Grilled Western Bacon Hot Dogs
- 1 package onion rings frozen
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 8 slices bacon thick-cut
- 1 package hot dog buns
- 8 slices American cheese
- barbecue sauce
- Cook onion rings according to package directions.
- Wrap bacon tightly around hot dogs and place on grill, seam side down.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes rotating occasionally until the bacon is golden and crispy.
- Place hot dog on bun along with a slice of cheese, an onion ring and some barbecue sauce.
So, if you are looking for a unique way to spice up your Fourth of July festivities, try the Grilled Western Bacon Hot Dog! Not only does it offer a great flavor combination that will have everyone talking, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. All you need is some bacon, your favorite beef hot dog, a bun, cheese, an onion ring, and some hickory smoked barbecue sauce. Once everything is cooked and assembled, you’ll be ready to go in no time. So this Independence Day – don’t forget about the Grilled Western Bacon Hot Dog! It’s sure to be the star of the show and give everyone something to remember when gathering together with friends and family.
- Place the bacon-wrapped hot dogs on the grill with the seam side facing down. As the bacon crisps up, it will secure itself and you can then turn the hot dogs. Continue cooking until the bacon is golden and crispy on all sides.
- If you prefer steamed buns try this easy hack. Remove the wire twist tie from the package of buns, fold the open end under the buns, and microwave in 30-second intervals until the buns are ready.
What’s the craziest combination of toppings you’ve ever put on a hotdog?
Italian Summer Squash Casserole
A simple, healthy Italian dish that can be served as either a main dish or a side dish. It has all of the flavors that you expect from an Italian dish, minus all of the calories.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.
Published: 07/01/2019 – Last Updated: 06/30/2023