Zeayla (Zee-A-la) is a Greek potato casserole with layers of zucchini, ground beef and of course, potatoes. Potato lovers love the combination of flavors, picky eaters love the mild flavors and busy moms love the simplicity.
Some of the best recipes I’ve tried are from the women that I work out with. Considering the group, you’d think that they’d be really healthy recipes, but that’s not always the case. No matter what we’re talking about, our conversations seem to always circle around to food, I guess it’s our way of coping with our diets. We figure it’s better to talk about it than to indulge.
Zeayla is one of those dishes that we discussed while working out. Our topic of conversation this particular day was about casseroles. My friend, Suella, shared this recipe. Her Greek grandmother used to make for her and it was always a favorite. I had to try it and I’m so glad I did, it’s one of my favorites now!
How to Make Zeayla Potato Casserole
Step 1: Brown the ground beef, onions and peppers. Drain liquid and stir in the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
Step 2: While the ground beef is browning, slice the potatoes and zucchini.
Step 3: Place a double layer of zucchini in a lightly greased casserole dish.
Step 4: Top the zucchini layer with the seasoned ground beef and peppers.
Step 5: Top the ground beef layer the sliced red potatoes.
Step 6: In a small mixing bowl, combine the panko, Parmesan cheese and melted butter.
Step 7: Top the potatoes with the panko crumble. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, remove foil and continue baking until the panko crumble browns, about 5-10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 orange or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 medium red potatoes, sliced
- 1 cup Panko
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Brown the ground beef, onions and peppers. Drain liquid and stir in the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place a double layer of zucchini in a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Top the zucchini layer with the seasoned ground beef and peppers.
- Top the ground beef layer the sliced red potatoes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the panko, Parmesan cheese and melted butter.
- Top the potatoes with the panko crumble. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, remove foil and continue baking until the panko crumble browns, about 5-10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Check for coupons before heading to the store
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.
What a unique casserole! Yum 🙂
Edye | http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com
Miz Helen says
Wow, we will just love your Zeayla Potato Casserole, it looks like a delicious meal. Your recipe looks awesome and thanks so much for sharing it with us at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great day and come back to see us real soon!
Kathy M says
This is really delicious. I didn’t have a mandolin so I just sliced the potatoes and zucchini as thin as I could.
Thank you, I’m glad that you enjoyed it!
I usually search for recipes by ingredients do I can use up what is in my fridge. Found this and it has all my favorite flavors: minus the peppers, so I am making it for supper tonight. There are just the two of us so will use only 1/2 a pound of beef and adjust everything accordingly. Can’t wait for suppertime!
I hope you enjoy it! It is one of my favorite ways to use zucchini.