This post may include affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Author: Robin | Fluster Buster
Recipe type: Entrées
Yields: 8 servings
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pounds potatoes, sliced
- 2 cups ham, diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet, cook butter and onion over medium low heat until onions are translucent. Stir in flour and thyme. and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Lower heat, whisk in milk, continue whisking until it is thick and smooth.
- Whisk in chicken broth and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and let boil for 1 minute.
- Grease a 9x13 pan, layer ⅓ of potatoes, ⅓ of ham and ⅓ of sauce. Repeat until all of the ingredients are used.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake and additional 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit 10 minutes before serving
- Bake covered for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 25-35 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Add the cheese during the last 15 minutes if using.