A sore throat can be the beginning signs of a cold or flu. With the cold an flu season right around the corner I thought that I would share with you some home remedies that my family and I gathered when we were trying to recreate my grandmother’s WWII Frugal Living journal.
- Take ibuprofen for the inflammation.
- Drink a cup of warm tea
mixed with 1-2 teaspoons of honey.
- Fill the reservoir of a Vicks personal steam inhaler with water and vinegar. Inhale the steam for about 10-15 minutes.
- Pour ¼ cup apple cider
vinegar into a large bowl and then fill half way with boiling water. Drape a towel
over your head and place your face over the bowl. Deeply inhale the steam for
5-10 minutes. Follow up with a glass of cold water.
- Drink some warm mint
- Suck on ice cubes.
- Gargle with some baking soda tea.
Mix ½ teaspoon baking
soda and ½ teaspoon salt in 8 ounces of hot water. When gargling, allow the
tea to sit for a few seconds on the back of your throat before gargling. Do
this 2 times in a row 3 times a day.
- Suck on throat lozenges that contain menthol or
- Drink a Hot Toddy. Add 2 ounces of whiskey with
1 tablespoon honey
and 4 ounces of hot water. Stir well and add 1 teaspoon of lemon
- Drink some warm chicken broth.
- Drink some ginger tea.
Crush a 2-inch piece of ginger
and add it to 3 cups of boiling water. Let it continue to boil for 4-5 minutes.
Add a little honey and drink while it’s hot.
- Gargle several times a day with warm salt
- Eat some marshmallows.
on some whole cloves.
Suck on them until they become soft, then chew.
- Take some cough syrup, Robitussin AC is the best
for relieving pain.
- Drink some herbal tea,
it helps ward off infection and build your immunity.
- Suck on a clove of garlic that has been cut in
half. Place ½ in each cheek and suck. Occasionally crush with your teeth.
- Take a teaspoon of honey.
- Mix together ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
and ¼ cup honey.
Take 1 tablespoon every 4-6 hours.
- Drink lots of water.
- Drink some cinnamon tea.
Add a couple sticks of cinnamon to boiling water. Allow it to boil for 3-4
minutes before steeping with your favorite tea
- Make an onion tea
by boiling the peels from ½ an onion
with 8 ounces of water. Drink 2-3 times a day.
- Drink a cup of warm cayenne tea.
Mix ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper with 1 cup boiling water and 1 teaspoon honey.
Drink throughout the day, stirring well before drinking.
- Gargle with 1 tablespoon vodka
mixed with 8 ounces of warm water.
- Gargle with 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
and ½ cup warm water.
- Drink warm pomegranate juice.
- Gargle with lemon
- Gargle with hydrogen
- Eat some chicken soup, the salt
in the broth acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- Sip on a glass of flat cola.
- Rub some Vick’s
VapoRub on your throat and wrap with a tube sock to hold in the heat.
this blog may contain affiliate links for which I receive compensation. Please
refer to our Disclosure Policy for more information
Image courtesy of petr kratochvi at All-Free-Download.com