Forget what salt does to your health, take a look at all of the wonderful things that it can do for your clothes. It’s a pretty helpful mineral.
The one household chore that I hate the most, is laundry. It is a thankless job that never, ever ends. Day in and day out clothes are being sorted, treated, washed, dried, folded, and put away, just to go through the same cycle again a few days later [insert scream]. I actually prefer cleaning the toilets, after 4 boys, than doing the laundry.
To make the situation worse, is having to pay so much money, for the items needed, to do something that I hate in the first place. Week after week you’re forced to invest a small fortune on laundry detergents, bleach, stain removers, color catchers, fabric softeners, color boosters, scent booster [insert another scream]. Thankfully, the cost is something that you can get some control over and salt is one of those items that can help you do that.
HOW TO USE SALT IN THE LAUNDRY ROOM
To keep the colors from bleeding and ruining other clothing, soak new clothes in a mixture of 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup laundry detergent and a gallon of lukewarm water for a 3o minutes. Rinse then wash as directed.
To clean the stainless steel soleplate of a steam iron, pour a thin layer of salt on a brown paper bag. With your iron turned on low and the steam function disabled run the iron back and forth over the salt until clean.
To prolong the life of your stockings and prevent them from getting runs, soak new stocking in 4 cups of water mixed with a 1/2 cup salt for one hour prior to hand washing.
To remove stains caused from sweat, soak the garment in a gallon of warm water mixed with 1/4 cup salt for one hour prior to washing. If stain persists, soak again for another hour and spray with hydrogen peroxide before washing.
To remove red or white wine stains from fabric, immediately sprinkle the stain with a layer of salt, allow it to absorb the wine for 10-15 minutes, remove salt and wash as directed.
Did you try using salt in your laundry room? We’d love to see the results. Snap a pic & tag it on Instagram with @FlusterBuster #laundrysalt
(may include affiliate links)
MORE LIKE THIS
- Salt Uses For Beauty – there are a lot of surprising ways to use salt in your beauty routine.
- Salt Uses in the Kitchen – as a seasoning salt can really make a dish taste amazing, but it can do so much more in the kitchen.
- Salt Uses for Outside – everyone knows how useful salt is in the winter, but you might be surprised to learn that’s it’s just as handy in the summer.
- How to Use Salt Around the House – helpful tips and tricks on how salt can be used around the house to make life a little easier and more manageable.
- 33 Epsom Salt Uses – epsom salt can do so much more than just relieve aches and pains.
- 59 Table Salt Uses – a cheap box of salt can do so many miraculous things, things that you would normally pay hundreds of dollars on.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.