I’m always on the look out for items that I can use to create simple recipes, One of the items that I never considered using was grits. First of all, I didn’t know exactly what they were, and the name grits sounded very unappealing to me. It wasn’t until I moved to West Virginia that I discovered how wonderful they are, despite the name.
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup grits
4 strips of bacon
3-4 tablespoons bacon grease
80 small shrimp, thawed
4 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 teaspoons lemon juice
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Reduce Fluster with the Right Tools:
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup grits
- 4 strips of bacon
- 3-4 tablespoons bacon grease
- 80 small shrimp, thawed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Prepare grits according to package directions. *Use chicken stock in place of water for flavor.
- Fry bacon until crispy, then chop. Reserve 3-4 tablespoons of the grease.
- While the grits are cooking, heat the bacon grease over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, bacon, green onion, parsley and garlic. Let it cook for 1-minute, then stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Let it cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the shrimp is cooking, stir butter and cheddar cheese into the grits.
- Spoon the shrimp mixture over the cheesy grits.
Do you have a favorite cheap and easy recipe or savings tip?
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.