Bread & Butter Refrigerator Pickles
Fresh cucumbers and onions that are tightly packed into a mason jar and then topped with a sweet homemade brine. The thinly sliced cucumbers and onions only take a couple of hours in the refrigerator to absorb all of the sweet goodness.
- 2 cup cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sweet onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Pack sliced cucumbers and onions in a clean, quart size mason jar. Set aside.
In a medium sauce pan, combine vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Spoon hot liquid into the jar to a half-inch from the rim. Place lid on jar and allow to cool to room temperature.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Add 1 teaspoon of celery seed, mustard seed, and/or turmeric to the brine.
- Add thinly sliced bell peppers or sweet peppers to the jar.
- Add thinly sliced apples or pears to the jar.
- Use apple cider vinegar.
- Use Splenda instead of sugar.
- Add a pinch of salt to the brine, it will live’n up the sweetness a bit.