Bangers & Mash with Savory Onion Gravy
Browned sausages served over a bed of fluffy mashed potatoes and then covered in a savory onion gravy made from sausage drippings. A simple recipe that will quickly become a St. Patrick’s day tradition.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 sausage English, Irish or brats
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons ail-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage cooking until cooked through and brown. Remove sausages and set aside.
Lower heat to medium, add onion and garlic and cook until browned.
Sprinkle the cooked onions and garlic with flour and mix well. Slowly stir in broth, stirring constantly until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve the gravy over mashed potatoes and sausage, along side some cabbage or peas.
- Avoid using lean sausage, it won't provide enough fat or juices to make a flavorful gravy.
- The gravy will thicken as it cools, so cook the gravy until it is slightly thinner than what you actually want.
- To add additional flavor and insure that the sausage is cooked through, boil the sausage in beer for 5-7 minutes before browning.