Mexican Breakfast Casserole – A deliciously simple egg and hash brown casserole with a crispy Mexican flavored crust covering layers of fluffy eggs, cheese, onions, peppers and green chiles. A mouthwatering dish topped with a little Mexican crema makes it the ideal brunch dish or wrap it in a tortilla for breakfast on the run.
The holidays are so busy that we don’t always get a chance to see all of our friends and family. With my husbands side, my side and all of our friends there’s a lot of people to see. I’ve always been afraid of making someone feel left out or unimportant because we didn’t get a chance to see them during the holiday. So several years ago my husband and I started a new tradition, an open house holiday brunch. The brunch is always held on the first Sunday after Christmas and everyone is welcome, we even send a reminder with our Christmas cards.
Because I’m never sure how many people will show up for the open house I like to prepare dishes that can feed a large crowd and can easily be frozen if it doesn’t get eaten. This Mexican breakfast casserole is one of those dishes, it can serve 12 people and it freezes really well. However I’ve never had the problem of there being any leftovers, it’s usually the first thing to go.
What is your favorite brunch dish?
Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Cheese: I like to use sharp cheddar cheese because it has a deeper and tangier flavor that works well with the other flavors in this recipe. You could also use a Mexican cheese blend which will give the casserole a slightly spicier flavor. When purchasing the cheese for this dish, it best to choose cheese that is finely grated, it melts more evenly when baked with the eggs.
Crema: Crema is basically Mexican sour cream. It is a thin cream that has been slightly soured with a tangy acidic taste, which is why it goes so well with your favorite Mexican dishes. It can be found in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store, usually with the refrigerated Mexican food.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Step 2: In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, cheese, milk, then stir in the bell pepper, green chiles, green onions and salt, whisk until mixed well. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Step 3: Using the same bowl, combine the hash browns and taco seasoning mix. Drizzle with the melted butter and toss so that the potatoes are evenly coated with the butter and seasoning mix. In an even layer sprinkle the seasoned potatoes over the top of the egg mixture.
Step 4: Place the baking dish, uncovered, in the middle of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the eggs are set and the hash browns are crispy. Let stand 10 minutes and drizzle with crema before serving.
- cooking spray
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) green chiles, diced
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hash browns, thawed
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Mexican Crema
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, cheese, milk, bell pepper, green chiles, green onions and salt, whisk until mixed well. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Using the same bowl, combine the hash browns and taco seasoning mix. Drizzle with the melted butter and toss so that the potatoes are evenly coated with the butter and seasoning mix. In an even layer sprinkle the seasoned potatoes over the egg mixture.
- Place the baking dish, uncovered, in the middle of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the eggs are set and the hash browns are crispy. Let stand 10 minutes and drizzle with crema before serving.
a The eggs will cook more evenly if you bake the casserole in the middle of the oven.
a For creamier eggs run the eggs through a mesh strainer before adding the other ingredients.
a Always crack eggs in a separate dish before cooking. This will eliminate unexpected egg shells in your dish.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.