Beef Broccoli Bowls – Tender beef and fresh broccoli tossed in a flavorful ginger soy sauce and served over a bowl of white rice. A simple and inexpensive recipe that can be on the table in less than 20 minutes.
The weather is quickly getting warmer and the last place that I want to be is in a hot kitchen for to long. Take-out is one option for avoiding the heat, but that can get expensive, especially if you have three MIT’s (men in training) at home. Grilling is another option, but sometimes I just don’t want the hassle. Simple recipes that use simple ingredients and take less than 30 minutes are my go-to option.
Chinese food is one of my favorites and I’ve just recently started making it at home. For some reason I always thought that it was really difficult to make. Surprise, it’s not! Everything that I’ve made so far, like the orange chicken has taken less than 30 minutes to prepare, which means I’m out of the kitchen in no time.
Beef Broccoli Bowls
Flank Steak: Any steak or roast will do, just be sure that when you’re slicing it against the grain. To make slicing easier try freezing the steak for about 30 minutes before you start. When cooking the steak avoid over cooking it, well done beef will be chewy and less flavorful.
Broccoli: Cut into 1-2 inch florets and steam for about 3-4 minutes. You want the broccoli to be bright green and have a little snap to it. You can also use frozen broccoli but it doesn’t seem to have the same snap that fresh broccoli does.
Ginger Soy Sauce: This stuff is the bomb! It’s nice and thick so it clings to all the nooks and crannies of the beef and broccoli, giving you a bit of sauce in every bite. I like to make extra sauce so that my rice can get covered in it.
- 2 cups instant rice, cooked
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets, steamed
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a saucepan, whisk together soy sauce, stock, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water. Slowly whisk into the boiling sauce. Continue to whisk until it begins to boil. Turn down heat, and simmer until thick.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add steak, cook for 1-2 minutes, turn over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Toss the beef and broccoli with the sauce.
- Assemble bowl, rice topped with the beef broccoli mixture.
Overcooking the steak will cause it to be dry and chewy.
Check for coupons before heading to the store.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.