If you’ve ever suffered with a pounding headache then you know that you would do just about anything to get rid of it.
Last week the hubby came home with one of those headaches. Unfortunately for him we were out of Excedrin, but I did have my list of Grandma’s Home Remedies to turn to. As I was flipping through all of the tips I was amazed at how many there were.
To help with the hubby’s headache I chose to give him a cup of strong, caffeinated coffee and rub a little Vick’s VaporRub on his temples and forehead. About a half an hour later I asked him how his headache was and to both of our surprise it was completely gone.
Check out this collection of the Headache Home Remedies that came from our WWII Household Tips series.
- Rub a small amount of Vicks
VapoRub on your temples and forehead.
- Drink a cup of caffeinated coffee.
- Dilute ½ teaspoon
cayenne powder and 4 ounces of water, gently apply to the inside of each
nostril, using a cotton swab, until you can feel the heat.
- Drink a glass of warm milk.
- For a tension headache, try lightly holding a
pencil between your teeth.
- Apply heat to the back of the neck to relieve
- Place a banana
peel on your forehead.
- Rub your temples or get a neck, back and
- Rub a small amount of peppermint oil under your
- Drink a hot cup of lemon
tea three to four time a day.
- At the first signs of a headache, pour ¼ cup
apple cider vinegar into a large bowl and then fill half way with boiling
water. Place a towel over your head and place your face over the bowl. Deeply inhale
the steam for 5-10 minutes. Follow up with a glass of cold water.
- Eat some pickled ginger.
- Apply lavender oil to temples and forehead.
- Eat some almonds at the first signs of a
- Soak in a hot bath with 2 cups of dissolved Epsom
- Soak a rag in a very strong glass of cold mint
tea. Wring out the rag and apply to forehead.
- Rub your temples with a raw potato.
- Apply ice to the temples for a pounding
- Drink a glass of ginger
- Apply rosewater
to forehead, temples and around eyes.
Image courtesy of stockimages at FreeDigitalPhotos.net