Chicken Fried Rice – loaded with chicken, rice and vegetables, then tossed with a fluffy scrambled egg and seasoned with a low- sodium soy sauce. This simple recipe is perfect for those busy nights when you want to get dinner on the table quickly.
Last night we had Hazelnut Chicken for dinner. I made it using some hazelnut coffee that was leftover from the morning to make a brine for the chicken. It turned out amazing!
Everyone enjoyed the chicken but we had a lot leftover. Usually I’ll use the leftover chicken to make Chicken Pot Pie or some kind of a casserole, but I’ve been craving Chinese food the last couple of days and decided to try something new.
In keeping with the cheap and easy theme of the Feed 4 for 5 series, I came up with this incredibly delicious recipe that helped satisfy my Chinese craving.
Chicken Fried Rice
Place leftover chicken in medium bowl, toss with soy sauce and sesame oil.
Let the chicken sit in the marinade for about 5-10 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating, fry the onions in a little olive oil. Fry them for only a minute or two to release the flavor, but don’t actually cook them until they are soft. You want to keep them a little crisp.
Add a bag of frozen vegetables,
the cooked rice,
and the marinated chicken. Stir it all together, then make a reservoir in the middle.
Crack your eggs into the center of the reservoir.
Scramble the eggs in the center of the pan.
- 1½ pounds chicken, cooked
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups white rice, cooked
- 10 ounces frozenmixed vegetables
- 3 large eggs
- Salt & pepper
- Toss cooked chicken with soy sauce and sesame oil. Let it marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, chicken and soy/sesame marinade, continue cooking over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Make a reservoir in the middle of the pan and scramble the eggs.
- When the eggs are scrambled stir it together with the rice mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Check for coupons before heading to the store.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.