Meatball Subs is the newest addition to my Feed 4 for 5 menu. Using my homemade Marinara Sauce and a few other ingredients I was able to create this cheap and easy recipe, that feeds 4, along with some Kale Chips and Apples for just $5.05. It was a huge hit and will soon be on the menu again.
chips & apples
Time: 30 Minutes Serves: 4 Category:
1 bunch of Kale, cleaned and dried ($0.50)
2 tablespoons olive oil ($0.10)
1 pound ground beef ($1.88)
Bread Crumbs (free)
1 egg ($0.09)
1 cup marinara sauce ($0.32)
4 Sub Rolls ($0.67)
4 slices mozzarella cheese ($0.83)
2 medium apples ($0.66)
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Remove the ribs from the kale and
cut into 1 ½-inch pieces. Toss with olive oil and salt. Place on a baking sheet
and bake for 15 minutes, turning once. Bake until crisp.
Once the kale chips are done, turn the heat up on the oven to
While the kale chips are baking, combine ground beef, egg, bread
crumbs and ¼ cup marinara sauce in a bowl and form into 1-inch balls.
Brown the meatballs in a lightly greased skillet. Once they’re
browned, place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 375
Heat the remaining marinara sauce.
Meatball Sub Assembly: place a slice of cheese on the bottom of
the roll, add 4 meatballs and cover with marinara sauce.
Serve with kale chips and sliced apples.
- Kale – (1 bunch for $0.50) purchased on sale from a supermarket.
- Olive Oil – (12 ounces for $2.39) purchased from a discount grocery store.
- Ground Beef – (1 pound for $1.88) purchased on sale from a supermarket. I track the sales and when ground beef goes on sale for this price I stock up and fill my freezer.
- Bread Crumbs – (free) instead of throwing out the heals of bread I store them in a Zip-loc bag that I keep in my freezer. Whenever I need bread crumbs I just pull out what I need and run them through the food processor.
- Egg – (30 count for $2.59) purchased from a discount grocery store.
- Marinara Sauce – (3 1/2 cups for $1.11) made using my marinara recipe.
- Sub Rolls – (6 rolls for $1.00) purchased on sale from a supermarket.
- Mozzarella Cheese – (8 ounces for $1.66) purchased on sale from a supermarket.
- Apples – (1 pound for $0.99) purchased on sale from a supermarket. There are approximately 3 medium apples in a pound.