Today we are going to tackle the clutter in our homes. I like to call this the 20/20 challenge, because we take a clear look at all of the things that we’ve surround ourselves with. Our homes are suppose to be a reflection of who we are. What is your home saying about you? Is it saying what you want it to? Let’s start by taking a 20/20 look at that one room in your home that drives you crazy, you know that one that I’m talking about, the one that is the catch all for everything that you don’t know what to do with.
Start by grabbing a pair of goofy glasses, the goofier they are, the easier it is to see all of the things that are sucking the joy out of your life. Now take a good look at that room, is it filled with things that you love? or things that you absolutely can’t live without? If it’s things that you don’t love or can live without – GET RID OF IT!!!! Our time is better spent doing things that we love rather than cleaning things that we don’t.
What is clutter?
Clutter is all of the stuff that doesn’t make us happy!
What Do I Need to get started?
- (3) Cardboard Boxes – labeled (1) Donate (2) Relocate (3) Terminate
- A dust rag
- A Timer
- Some fun, lively, shake your bootie music
- If you love it – Clean It
- If you don’t love it – Donate It
- If it’s broken or stained – Terminate It
- If it doesn’t belong in the room – Relocate It
Do this everyday until the room is done. 20 minutes a day is easier to manage than trying to tackle it all at once. Remember this mess didn’t happen over night, so don’t try to clean it in one night. *Be sure not to pull out more than you can put away and don’t exceed the time. Once the room is completed (this includes: drawers, closets, under furniture, in cabinets) then move on to the next room.
- When was the last time it was used?
- Is it broken or missing parts?
- Do I love it?
- Can I live without it?
- Can it be replaced or rented inexpensively when I need it?
- More time to do the things you enjoy
- No longer a slave to the junk
- Having a home full of things that you love
- Less time cleaning
- Having a neat, organized home
Home Organization – Day 1: De-Cluttering