Any dish that has shrimp in it sounds like it would cost more than $5.00, right? However, shrimp is more affordable than you might think. With some savvy shopping tips and a great recipe you can serve your family shrimp and still keep your budget in check. Lemon Shrimp Pasta is one of my family’s favorite meals, because it’s full of flavor and filling. I love it because it’s easy to make and it’s easy on my budget.
Cost = $5.05
- Butter – (1 pound for $2.89) purchased from a discount grocery store. *You could also use margarine which is even cheaper, but I prefer the taste of butter.
- Garlic – (1 head for $0.49) purchased from grocery store.
- Shrimp – (14 ounces for $5.79) purchased from a discount grocery store. Only half a bag was used to complete this meal, the other half will be used for a future meal. *Stock up when it goes on sale. I’ve purchased it for as little as $5.00/bag.
- Lemon Juice – (12 ounces for $1.00) purchased from a dollar store.
- Spaghetti Noodles – (16 ounces for $1.00) pasta regularly goes on sale for 10/$10. When you see this kind of a sale, it doesn’t mean that you have to buy 10 in order to get the sale price, you can buy just one and only pay $1.00. *You can lower the price further by pairing the sale with a coupon. My local grocery store recently had a 10/$10 sale on Mueller’s pasta which I paired with a $1/2 Mueller’s pasta coupon (SS 09/22/13) so I ended up only paying $0.50 a box, so I stocked up and bought several boxes.
- Lemon Pepper – (4.65 ounces for $1.00) purchased from Dollar Tree.
- Parmesan Cheese – (8 ounces for $1.00) purchased from a dollar store. *A number of dollar stores now accept coupons, so keep your eyes peeled, you could end up saving even more..
- Lettuce – (1 head for $1.00) lettuce regularly goes on sale for a $1.00 or less. *Check your weekly store flyers for sales.
- Salad Dressing – (16 ounces for $1.00) purchased from Dollar Tree.
- Bread – (free) instead of throwing out the heals of bread I store them in a Zip-loc bag that I keep in my freezer. Whenever I need bread crumbs or I need to make garlic toast I just pull out what I need.