Have you ever used paraffin wax? Here are 17 reasons why every home should have some in their pantry.
Paraffin Wax, thank goodness my aunt pulled this one out just in time for this weeks WWII post. I’m beginning to run out of common household items to continue this series. In the next couple of weeks I’ll be putting a new twist on this series, so make sure that you come back for more WWII fun and information.
Paraffin Wax Uses:
- Jams & Jellies – to preserve, fill a canning jar a ½ inch from the top with jam. While the jam is still hot pour melted (food grade) wax over
the top to seal.
- Bottles – to seal, dip the top of the bottle in melted wax.
- Irons – to keep them smooth, rub hot iron over a bar of wax wrapped in cloth.
- Drawers – to lubricate, rub a bar of wax over the sliders.
- Windows – to keep them opening and closing smoothly, run a bar of wax over the tracks.
- Zippers – to keep them from sticking, rub the teeth of the zipper with a bar of wax.
- Snow Shovels – to help the snow slide off of the shovel, rub a bar of wax over a dry shovel.
- Toboggans – to lubricate, rub the skis with a bar of wax.
- Trash cans – to keep things from sticking, coat the inside with melted wax.
- Chocolate Making – for a shiny coat, add a little (food grade) wax to the melted chocolate.
- Hard Cheese – to keep it fresh, dip the exposed cheese in melted (food grade) wax.
- Handrails – to lubricate, rub the handrails with a bar of wax.
- Steel or Iron – to prevent oxidation, rub the surface with a bar of wax.
- Fruits and Vegetables – to keep fresh longer, dip the fruit or vegetables in melted (food grade) wax. This will slow down the moisture loss and keep them from spoiling.
- Candles – to make your own, there are several tutorials on the web for making your own candles.
- Hands & Feet – to soften, dip hands and feet into a low-temp wax bath. Wait 10-15 minutes then remove the wax.
- Crayons – to make your own, all you need is paraffin wax and some pigments.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally believe will add value to my readers. All opinions stated are strictly my own. Read our full disclosure policy for more information.