This post may contain affiliate links – any opinions stated are strictly my own! See our disclosure for more information.
- In a large bowl, gradually cut the shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse corn meal.
- Add iced vodka and salt into the flour mixture. Stir gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Separate the dough into two balls and place each ball in a freezer bag. Use a rolling pin to slightly flatten. Seal the bags and place in the freezer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Place the slightly frozen dough on a floured surface. Sprinkle the dough with a little more flour. To roll, start in the center and roll outward, continue until the dough is ½" larger than the diameter of your pie pan.
- Gently move the dough to your pie tin and press into place. Trim the extra dough from the rim of the pie tin or make a decorative edge.
- In a small bowl, beat one egg with a fork and brush the dough with the egg. This will keep your filling from saturating the dough and making it soggy.
What is your favorite pie crust filling?