|Picture by: www.Osovo.com|
Every time I walk through the meat isle at my grocery store my heart almost stops at the prices that they charge. Early this summer I decided that I wasn’t going to pay those outrageous prices anymore. So I decided to do some research on buying a side of beef. I started with butcher shops, the prices were lower but not as low as I would have liked them to be. So I decided to take it a step further, I asked the butchers who they bought their beef from. Some were reluctant to give out their sources while others were extremely open and generous.
- Did they sell to individuals?
- How much did they charge?
- Was the price on the hoof or off?
- What was the average weight of a side of beef?
- Who did they use to butcher their meat?
- When did they accept orders?
- When would it be ready to be butchered?
** Keeping a chest freezer organized is really difficult, so I used milk crates to keep the different cuts of meat separate. You can’t see all of the crates in this picture, but take my word for it there is a lot of meat there.